Study has revealed that food consumed in reasonable levels can help battle stress. With the right nutrition, you will have taken a constructive step, as you will supply your body with the necessary vigor and nutrient blend required to face the challenge of the day
This is because foodstuff can provide us the feeling of contentment, control and command that we require all through divorce situation. For this reason, it is not a shocker to find out that when stress set in, our body becomes resistant to certain foods. This can eventually result to overweight, persistent heart condition among other body ailment.
Signs proving you are under stress
1. Skipping meals: Many individuals under stress find themselves rushing out of their place of living without having a healthy breakfast. This makes them to feel hungry during the day thus turning to unhealthy fast foods which increases strain to their body.
2. Eating the wrong foods: Due to increase in Cortisol, which is a stress hormone, many stressed individuals tend to crave for meals that are high in salt, sugar and fat. The consistent consumption of foods with added sugar and salt can increase stress to body detoxification process further increasing stress. On the other hand, increased fat consumption can increase the chances of becoming obese, or acquiring certain body disorders such as cardiovascular complications and high blood pressure.
3. Drinking too much coffee: Individuals under stress usually turn to coffee drinks with a motive of jumpstarting themselves the following day. Research has shown that coffee has a certain level of caffeine. Caffeine being a stimulant on the other hand can increase blood pressure, a response that is not suitable for any stressed individual.
4. Crash diets: Due to parallel decrease in serotonin and increase in Cortisol levels, stressed individuals usually gain weight. This forces such individuals to eat less food or turn to crash fad diets in order to burn the excess fat. Diets that are not balanced with complex carbohydrates, proteins, good fats, vegetables and fruits can often decrease body immunity thus leading to the onset of different body ailments.
5. Fast foods: Opposite to the past generations, many individuals today turn to readymade fast foods. Studies have shown that certain fast foods contain added sugars, additives and fats that can increase complications in the body further causing physical stress.
Ways to manage stress with better nutrition
As we become obsessed by various events caused by divorce our physical and mental systems become stressed, most of the time we turn to poor nutritional choices, which further increases the stress levels within our systems. Studies have shown that maintaining a healthy diet and getting good nutrition is the first and the most important step towards stress management. Some of the nutritional choices include;
- 1. Eat breakfast: Sometime, we tend to rationalize breakfast with the excuse that we are not hungry. However, the truth is that breakfast can help reduce stress caused by hangover and it is the best way to improve body energy and maintain a stable blood sugar. This will make you function properly during the whole process.
- 2. Opt for green tea: Caffeine increases stress to the body system. However, you can wean yourself from caffeine by drinking green tea instead. Green tea is the best alternative since it has a soothing taste and it has loads of antioxidants that improve mental performance and reduce the stress levels.
- 3. Healthy munches: Stressed individuals usually develop a pattern of snacking cheese, chips among other less healthy munchies. To prevent such unhealthy diet, replace them with celery sticks, edamame, carrot sticks and sunflower seeds. Such snacks will provide the required minerals and vitamins, which are essential to the body.
- 4. Healthy supplements: During a stressful situation, consider mineral and vitamin supplements that will replace the stress-depleted nutrients. Go for supplements that are rich in vitamin C, zinc, magnesium, calcium and vitamin B complex. In addition, you can opt for herbal supplements that will facilitate digestion and includes aloe Vera, kava, liquorices root, ginger and dandelion mint.
- 5. Drinks: To reduce stress, cut down on stimulant drinks such as soda, tea and coffee. You can replace such drinks with decaffeinated tea or coffee, herbal teas and 100% fruit juices. To protect the kidneys and avoid dehydration, drink plenty of water.
- 6. Carry a snack: Carry healthy snacks that are nutrients rich while driving or walking. Such snacks will avoid blood sugar dips and reduce fatigue. Such snacks that are vital to proper physical functioning and to the general body health include granola bars, trail mix and certain energy bars.